Truck Accidents: Who Do I Sue?

Even in the 21st century, the trucking industry is a vital cog in the day-to-day activities of our country. A vast number of trucks travel U.S. and Pennsylvania highways. Of the estimated 15.5 million trucks operating in the U.S. today, two million of them are tractor-trailers.

Tractor-trailers are large trucks that are sometimes three times the size of an automobile. When involved in an accident, these vehicles cause significantly more damage than an automobile or motorcycle.

However, when a truck is involved in an accident,Truck Accidents: Who Do I Sue? suing the driver of the truck for his or her liability in causing an accident is not always as simple as suing the driver of an automobile. There may be more parties to hold accountable and more ways to successfully recover. Holding all of the appropriate parties accountable for a truck accident is the optimal way to receive full compensation, while ensuring that truck drivers be held accountable for unsafe driving.

The parties that may potentially be liable for a truck accident include:

  • The truck driver. This is the obvious starting point in establishing liability for injuries received as the result of an accident involving a truck. Recovery must be made from the truck driver’s insurance company since most truck drivers on the road do not typically have the amount of money necessary to sufficiently compensate an accident victim.
  • The truck driver’s employer. Unlike the driver of a private motor vehicle like a car or motorcycle, a truck driver is likely working on behalf of another party. This means the company may be held  liable for an accident occurring during the scope of the truck driver’s employment. Another option is suing the trucking company for negligently hiring or training the truck driver. Of course, a truck company likely has a deeper pocket than an individual, which increases the chances of a more complete recovery.
  • The restaurant or bar where the truck driver became intoxicated. If a truck driver causes an accident and any ensuing injuries because he or she was intoxicated, it’s possible to sue the bar or restaurant that sold the alcohol. Pennsylvania has a dram shop law , which penalizes businesses that continue to serve patrons who are “visibly intoxicated.”

Of course, proving these allegations may be a complicated and time-consuming process. It is wise to contact an attorney experienced in litigating personal injury lawsuits involving truck accidents. If you or a loved one has suffered any type of injury resulting from a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or truck accident, contact Powell Law at call (570) 961-0777. The consultation is FREE and you don’t pay anything unless we win.

Request a Free Consultation

Contact Us