FAQ In Personal Injury Cases: When Must I Report An Accident?

Properly litigating a personal injury case so that our clients make a complete and total recovery of their losses is always the first and foremost priority of the experienced personal injury attorneys at Powell Law. For 113 years, the attorneys at Powell Law have represented Pennsylvania personal injury victims. Today’s blog addresses when and if a motor vehicle accident must be reported to a law enforcement or government agency.

Minor traffic accidents where all of the vehicles involved can continue normal operation and there are no resulting injuries to passengers typically do not require that the participants submit an accident report to the police. This enables the parties to resolve amongst themselves simple property damage like a scratched fender or bumper without burdening law enforcement and the state legal system.

Pennsylvania law in § 3747(a) of Title 75 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code requires that if a motor vehicle accident is not investigated by a police officer as required by § 3746 that relates to the immediate notice of an accident to a police department, the driver of any vehicle involved in the accident in any manner must complete and submit a written report of the accident to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation within five days of the accident.

A Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Driver’s Accident Report form must be completed by all drivers involved in a motor vehicle traffic accident occurring in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania where: (1) injury to or death of any person occurs; or (2) damage to any vehicle involved occurs to the extent that it cannot be driven under its own power in its customary manner without further damage or hazard to the vehicle, other traffic elements, or the roadway, and therefore requires towing.

If you or a loved one has suffered any type of injury, contact Powell Law at (570) 961-0777. Our decades of experience make us the preferred choice for representation in personal injury matters in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and surrounding areas. Our attorneys, past and present, have represented victims for 113 years. The consultation is FREE and you don’t pay anything unless we win your case. Call today.

FAQ In Personal Injury Cases: When Must I Report An Accident?

Request a Free Consultation

Contact Us